[Project] Improving speech audibility in movies/television. | Build a device to engage between line out and headphones.

jaddel

[Project] Improving speech audibility in movies/television. | Build a device to engage between line out and headphones.

Post by jaddel » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:44 pm

Hello everyone,

I hope this is the reight section to ask for help.

Goal: Help my hearing diasabled dad to better understand speech in movies and tv shows. His main problem seams to be high volume differences (action scenes or music beeing to loud).

After calling several local hearing aid stores and doing some google research looking for a device that could help with this it appeard that such a device does not exist until now.

So I did some research and found openHMA and the RPI HW which lead me to a DIY solution:
TLDR: I'd like to build a device that improvoes speech audibility in movies or tv shows by reducing ambient sounds, boosting speech and gernal normalizing of volume levels. The device is supposted to take the line out of e.g a TV as input and provide the modified sound as line out to a wireless headphone setup.

Before I jump into the project I would like to ask how you guys see the possibilities for realization and what advice you can give me on the way?
Has anyone done something similar or could link any usefull references?

Thanks.

tobiasherzke

Re: [Project] Improving speech audibility in movies/television. | Build a device to engage between line out and headphon

Post by tobiasherzke » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:43 am

jaddel wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:44 pm
my hearing diasabled dad
His main problem seams to be high volume differences
That's a medical problem. Please be aware that openMHA is not medical device software, and therefore should not be used here. Instead, openMHA supports hearing researchers who have expert knowledge in the domain to study their research questions.

Regular hearing aids can help in situations like this and should be used here.

PythonLinks

Re: [Project] Improving speech audibility in movies/television. | Build a device to engage between line out and headphon

Post by PythonLinks » Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:19 am

In Europe, hearing aids are regulated and licensed. In the us, hearing aids are no longer regulated by the FDA. So are you in Europe or in the US, or elsewhere?