How to start openMHA

steffendasenbrock
Site Admin

How to start openMHA

Post by steffendasenbrock » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:30 am

This post offers a quick start guide on how to start openMHA. This is covered in section 2 of the Getting Started Document (displayed below) which you can also download under the following link:

http://www.openmha.org/docs/openMHA_starting_guide.pdf

If you have questions about the quick start guide feel free to post them here. For other topics regarding the Getting Started document find the corresponding post to that specific section.

KristinOhlmann

Re: How to start openMHA

Post by KristinOhlmann » Mon May 03, 2021 6:40 pm

Hello,

I am trying to get openMHA running on my Windows 10 laptop. It seems that the mha --interactive line does not work for me (inside the bin folder it does work).
If I am in the same folder as the link file, typing openMHA.lnk --interactive does successfully start the program, but following the instructions for the first example fails right away ((mha_parser) not able to open file "gain_getting_started.cfg" for reading. (MHA:failure)). This observation may of course also be totally unrelated...

At least to me it seems like some path-wise confusion is going on here. Before installing openMHA in the default location (where it is now), I installed and uninstalled it on the D drive and deleted all associated files I could spot. Can that be part of the problem and how can I solve this?

Kristin

hendrikkayser

Post by hendrikkayser » Tue May 04, 2021 3:25 pm

Hi Kristin,
it seems that the entry for openMHA is missing in your PATH environment variable. Please check in your system settings whether the entry is there.

The error message occurs, because mha does not find the configuration file to be read, as it is not in the same directory in which you started mha. You could point mha to the correct location

Code: Select all

?read:<path to .cfg file>/gain_getting_started.cfg
, but then you would also have to modify the path to the audio file within the configuration file.
Once the path issue is solved you should be able to to into the directory where the configuration is located, start mha there and run the command successfully.

fam

Post by fam » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:14 am

I installed the openMHA package and I can run the commands from 'cmd' and I can connect with MATLAB.

But I want to check the variables and now I compiled the openMHA. After that, I can run the mha.exe from "./bin/" directory and got this message.

`
#############################################################

ATTENTION: THIS BUILD OF OPENMHA IS NOT A RELEASE VERSION
#############################################################

The Open Master Hearing Aid (openMHA) server version 4.16.0+
Copyright (c) 2005-2021 HoerTech gGmbH, D-26129 Oldenburg, Germany

This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details see file COPYING.
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under the terms of the GNU AFFERO GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE, Version 3;
for details see file COPYING.
'
but there is no place to run the commands or navigating to directories to run the examples. Did I miss anything?

On the other hand, how can I run the compiled version of openMHA from 'cmd'? I add the path to the environment variables. after running the 'mha --interactive' in cmd, I got the following pop-up messages

mha.exe - system error
The code execution cannot proceed because libsndfile-1.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.

mha.exe - system error
The code execution cannot proceed because libgcc_s_seh-1.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.

I reinstall it, but nothing changes.

tobiasherzke

Post by tobiasherzke » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:09 am

fam wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:14 am
But I want to check the variables and now I compiled the openMHA.
Please explain what you mean by "check the variables" in more detail. Maybe there is an easier way to achieve what you want.

The compilation instructions in COMPILATION.md are intended for developers.
there is no place to run the commands or navigating to directories to run the examples. Did I miss anything?
Do you mean the --interactive command line option? openMHA has no support for navigating directories.
after running the 'mha --interactive' in cmd,
mha.exe - system error
The code execution cannot proceed because libgcc_s_seh-1.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.
Yes, invoking a self-compiled openMHA on Windows from cmd.exe, you will usually run into problems like these. We solve this by providing an .exe installer for our users where everything is carefully packaged so that they will not experience these. If you want to invoke openmha from cmd.exe, you will basically have to repeat what our .exe installer creator does. As a developer, you can find all the necessary information in the 4 files found here: https://github.com/HoerTech-gGmbH/openM ... kaging/exe. Another quick fix is to invoke mha from the msys2 mingw64 terminal instead of from cmd.exe.

All of the above is only required if you are a developer and want to change openMHA. openMHA users will prefer to use the .exe installer provided at https://github.com/HoerTech-gGmbH/openMHA/releases.

fam

Post by fam » Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:36 pm

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I want to make some changes in openmha.

yes, I mean --interactive line option.

I wasn't able to invoke mha from the msys2 mingw64 terminal.

Fortunately, the problem is fixed. I follow the compilation guide for windows and there is no point to set the bin and lib directory and the one for thismha.sh. With the following command lines, the problem is fixed.

export MHA_LIBRARY_PATH=./
export PATH=<YOUR-MHA-DIRECTORY>/bin:$PATH
source <YOUR-MHA-DIRECTORY>/bin/thismha.sh

I hope this helps others.

hendrikkayser

Post by hendrikkayser » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:30 pm

Thanks for pointing this out!